Review: Lisa Jewell's "Then She Was Gone" (Spoiler Alert)

     I came across this book on Pinterest, I was just looking for a recommendation for a thriller/ mystery/ horror book. And then, this book came along with the tagline 'A missing girl, with her buried secrets' (sort of something like that), which made me a bit curious.

"Ten years after her teenage daughter goes missing, a woman connects with a charming single father, but she is still haunted by her child's disappearance"


    'Then She Was Gone' was published in 2018, by Atria Books and became one of Lisa Jewell's best-selling books. When I tell you, this book got me hooked. It was so well-written, and the words just flow right into the story. The question of "What happened to Ellie?" kept haunting me when I read this book, chapter by chapter. The feeling of suspense and curiosity gets bigger as I get closer to the end.  Completely heart-wrenching as the plot revealed, but the end doesn't leave you hanging. The story flow was backward and forward, but for me, it wasn't as confusing as other books that have the same type of story flow. 

    This book also deals with the trauma of losing a family member, grief, and emotional detachment. Laurel's feeling of missing her 'golden girl', made her somehow lose the connection with her other family member. She stopped taking care of the house and her children, the children that still remain. Her marriage ended, and her husband has a new girlfriend. At the end, when the truth revealed, Laurel has come to a realization that apparently, she's not the only one that feels sad or lost. They are all coping with their sadness of a family member's disappearance in different ways. 

Overall, this was such a reading experience. I haven't read any English books again, since 2017, but this is a good start, and I am currently reading Lisa Jewell's "The Family Upstairs". I might write a review about this book... or not ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Lisa Jewell's "The Family Upstairs" (Spoiler Alert)

Review: Little Women (2019)